EURORDIS Awards 2017 for excellence in the field of Rare Diseases
Winners of the EURORDIS Awards 2017 were announced at the Black Pearl evening last 21st February in Brussels
February 24, 2017
The EURORDIS Awards & Black Pearl Evening is held every year to mark the occasion of Rare Disease Day and recognize outstanding patient advocates and organisations, volunteers, scientists, companies, media and policy makers who have contributed to reduce the impact of rare diseases on people's lives.
This year, the winners of the EURORDIS Awards 2017 were announced at Black Pearl ceremony in Brussels on February 21st by Vytenis Andriukaitis, European Commissioner for Health and Food Safety. Rare Disease Day Ambassador, Sean Hepburn Ferrer, the eldest son of the late Audrey Hepburn, who passed away from a rare cancer, was also present in the ceremony.
The 2017 Awards winners were:
- Policy Maker Award - Frédérique Ries, Member of the European Parliament, Belgium
- Volunteer Award – Elizabeth Vroom, Duchenne Parent Project, the Netherlands
- Media Award - Aldo Soligno, Photographer, Rare Lives Project, Italy
- Company Award - GSK (GlaxoSmithKline) – Rare Diseases
- Scientific Award - Dr Lucia Monaco, Chief Scientific Officer, Fondazione Telethon, Italy
- Patient Organisation Award - The Dravet Syndrome European Federation, Spain
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Anders Olauson, Founder of the Ågrenska Centre, Sweden
Description of the winners and pictures are available on the EURORDIS website and press release or by Twitter #EURORDISAwards2017